Tuesday, September 6, 2011

"Now, whatever its moral and philosophical attractiveness..."

"Now, whatever its moral and philosophical attractiveness, the free economy I have just proposed, in which no one is allowed to use government power to loot anyone else, is sometimes criticized as a "pro-business" philosophy that favors the well-to-do. This criticism could not be more off target.  As I have said, businessmen, too, want special favors from government and lobby energetically for all kinds of wealth transfers to themselves.  Very rarely does a business owner come to my congressional office to congratulate me on my fidelity to the Constitution.  They come by because they want something, and what they want is usually not authorized by the Constitution. 

I do not claim that businessmen as a class are underhanded or wicked, since I do not believe in making prejudicial generalizations about any group.  I am saying only that they are just as likely as anyone else to favor government intervention on their behalf.  I have nothing but respect and admiration for honest businessmen.  Their contributions to our society are indispensable and almost completely unsung.  The entrepreneur who risks everything he has in order to realize a dream- and improve our lives in the process - is engaged in a worthy and honorable pursuit that earns him precious little respect in our society." -Page 77 of The Revolution, A Manifesto

No comments:

Post a Comment