Sunday, September 4, 2011

"During my public life I have earned the nickname Dr. No....."

"During my public life I have earned the nickname Dr. No, a reference to my previous occupation as a physician combined with my willingness to stand against the entire Congress if necessary to vote no on some proposed measure. (I am told I have been the sole "no" vote in Congress more often than all other members of Congress put together.) As a matter of fact, I don't especially care for this nickname, since it may give people the impression that I am a contrarian for its own sake, and that for some reason I simply relish saying no.  In those no votes, as in all my congressional votes, I have thought of myself as saying yes to the Constitution and to freedom." -Pages 49 & 50 of The Revolution, A Manifesto

No comments:

Post a Comment